Check out this creative Instagram Map with Photo Prints project sent to us by Instagrammer @mimochai and her sidekick Goldmickey. We love when our small prints can be turned into a work of art and this map of her recent trip to New Zealand does just that. She even dedicated an Instagram video to the finished product (view it here). We’ve also broken this project into simple steps with a supply list so you can create your own Instagram map the next time you go on a trip to remember!
What do you do?
- Currently in a white collar profession, I like to do projects like these as a creative outlet.
What are your passions?
- Illustration, good design (graphic, packaging, product, architecture, interior), exploring cities and nature.
Tell us more about this PostalPix project!
- We went to New Zealand recently and drove/flew/biked/trained all over the North and South Island. I wanted to display some of my favorite pictures from the trip in a way that also gave a sense to the scale and scope of our route. I traced the map from one of our free car rental maps we used haha, making it more straight-edged and angular rather than perfectly exact. Using the traced outlines, I cut out stencils and spray painted over them on the canvas (I used MTN gold spray paint- started with another cheap brand and learned there’s a huge difference in spray paint quality!). I then filled in the negative space with white acrylic, creating the texture with my fingers. The route was lined with orange acrylic, and little orange map pins (from Amazon) marked our stops. Finally I researched where to order Instagram prints from and PostalPix was very popular and well-rated the prints were great and I used a neutral Japanese string-yarn to tie them to the locations. It didn’t turn out 100% how I imagined before I started, but I’m happy with it. Thanks PostalPix! I love how you guys interact with your customers on Instagram.
- PostalPix prints on foam board
- Canvas (size is up to you)
- MTN gold spray paint
- White acrylic paint to fill in map location
- Orange acrylic paint for route
- X-Acto knife
- Stencil of location (or trace from a map)
- Orange map pins (from Amazon) to mark your stops
- Adhere your PostalPix prints to foam board and cut down to size (this step is optional if you want to have your prints raised).
- Get a stencil of your location by tracing a map (or find a print out online) and temporarily adhere it on your canvas.
- Take your canvas and paint any color you’d like (or gold for this project).
- Fill negative space with white acrylic paint (or any other color you’d like).
- Once dry, use the orange acrylic paint and paint the route.
- Use the map pins and string to locate all the places you went to and where the photo was taken.
- Adhere the PostalPix prints to these locations!
We can’t wait to see all the Instagram maps with photo prints from vacations you take this Summer! Big thanks to Mimi for sharing this amazing PostalPix project with us. We can’t wait to see what other creative projects you will create.