The Polaroid “look” is so iconic and we wanted to replicate that in this Polaroid Coasters DIY using Instagram Prints from PostalPix!
Our metal prints already make for super easy coasters, but we wanted to incorporate our own DIY out there in the crafting world using inexpensive white ceramic tiles with our own photo prints. By inexpensive, we mean REALLY inexpensive. One tile cost us 16¢ each at our local Home Depot and at 99¢ for a 3-pack of 4×4 Android or iPhone photo prints, this DIY makes for a great gift that won’t break the bank. Follow along below to see how to make your own. Have the kids join in too! Just make sure you do the trimming for them.
- (4) 4″ x 4″ PostalPix Photo Prints
- Square Ceramic Tiles
- Mod Podge (Matte or Glossy, it’s up to you)
- Paint Brush
- To make it resemble a Polaroid, you will have to trim the photo prints, so be sure to pick ones that ones that won’t lose too much of its subject if trimmed down.
- Mark with a pencil and ruler, then trim a ½ inch from the width. It should now be 3.5″ wide.
- Do the same, but trim 1 inch from the length. You should be left with an image that’s 3.5″ x 3″. This should fit your ceramic tile just fine since they run a little larger even though it says it is 4″x4″, but measure accordingly to your own tile.
- Wipe down your tiles so that they are clean and ready to be turned into a Polaroid coaster.
- Generously apply Mod Podge using the brush to the back of the photo.
- Simply eyeball an even amount of space from the top and the two sides, the bottom will be left with more white space to resemble a Polaroid.
- Gently smooth out the photo to remove any air bubbles and excess glue.
- Let dry and work on the rest.
- Once all are photos are applied, go back to the first and generously apply Mod Podge to the top of the photo.
- Let it dry completely and it will dry clear.
- Optional step: apply small felt circles on the bottom.